Friday, March 14, 2014

How do people function...

Working in retail you learn that the saying: "there's no such thing as a stupid question," is absolutely not true.  There are tons of stupid questions out there.  Questions that people ask that lead you to wonder how, exactly, they function on their own in society.  I say this having worked in music/movie stores, bookstore and housewares stores.  I'd like to give society the benefit of the doubt, but alas, they make me question my sanity at least once a day...if not more.

Now, I know-you're thinking-give people a break.  And yes, maybe I'm being a little hard on people who walk into a bookstore asking for the non-fiction section and when you ask what they're looking for they still say non-fiction; and then you have to explain that 95% of the store is non-fiction and categorized.  But, you're in a bookstore, why would you read signs...?

Since entering the world of housewares and linens, etc. Well, let's just say I'm not sure how people have managed to cook, clean, eat or shit on their own sometimes.  I say this with much love for the general public.  You are the best, and worst part, of any retail job.  But can we talk about something for a moment?  Ok, maybe a few things.

First:  Things that don't have a price on them-are NOT free.  You aren't the first one to crack that joke, and you are NOT the first person to miss the sign with the price, DIRECTLY above the item (or even on the item if it has a display).  Now, yes, on occasion there is no sign and something still may have a price that's difficult to find on the item-but do you really think I'm going to just give it to you for free? Ummm...no.

Secondly: Any retailer with an online store is going to have more online than in store.  Let's use our common sense for a moment.  There is no store big enough to hold absolutely every item in every size, shape and color.  It just doesn't exist.  And, as much as you may be mad that I don't have it in stock, I want to sell it to you.  I work in sales-I want to sell it to you, order it for you, get it for you, find it for you-assuming what you're looking for actually exists (which is a whole other story).

Thirdly: Do you work here?  I get if I have my back to you, it's summer so no one's wearing a coat, and I'm not currently helping another customer, so you're unsure if I'm general public or worker-oh and you can't see my nametag...But seriously-CLEARLY I WORK HERE!  If I'm carrying stuff, behind a counter, talking to another customer, stocking product, using a scanner, or if I asked you if I could help you 5 minutes ago-I work here!

Fourth: I get that some more difficult gadgets, appliances, etc. may have more bells and whistles than you need it for-so asking how it works is a valid question.  However, if you come to me looking, for let's say, bed sheets-and ask me if they work or how they work-I'm going to stare at you for a minute awkwardly.  If you ask me for a bacon pan for your nanny-and I reply-do you mean a skillet or fry pan-and you continue to look at me and tell me your nanny just said a bacon pan-I'm going to hit you with, not just any fry pan, but a cast iron fry pan that ways 5 tons.

Fifth: (we're leaving the stupid questions and just going with stupid) When I recommend something, and you go against my recommendation, and then return crappy item two days later-don't tell me you should've listened to me-just LISTEN TO ME! When you sit there and let me ask you questions to figure out your needs and tell me your life story, and all the reasons that make this thing you need important, or different from the last person who needed it-you're WASTING MY TIME.  I mean, if you know more than I do, as you've told me three times already-then just go with the crappy thing and let me get back to helping someone who actually wants my help.

Sixth:  I work in a very return friendly place.  If you're going to return it-just return it.  I don't need an 8 hour sob story-I've told you can return it-several times.  I only ask that you don't get all mad at me when I give you a store credit because you can't find the receipt for the item, that's, let's be honest here, is 3 years old and you probably bought at Target.  Just sayin...

Seventh:  I want to go eat-so maybe you should find it yourself.

No comments: